All About OMR Sheets
OMR Sheets are special printouts containing circles or elliptical bubbles or boxes used as marking areas where the candidate marks using a blue/black pen or pencil.
OMR Sheet is
also known as: OMR Answer Sheet, OMR Test Sheet, MCQ Test Sheet, ORS, Objective Response Sheet, Oval Sheet, Bubble Sheet etc.
The OMR Sheet Reader software is a software solution that reads these specific circles and bubbles and converts the information into OMR data.
False Concept about OMR Sheets > People mostly think that OMR sheets are essentially based on 2-colored, thick paper that must be purchased from specialized vendors. This is not true.
Current knowledge about OMR Sheets > The fact is that today more than 90% OMR users design & print their own OMR sheets using our OMR sheet design software.
Uses of OMR Sheet
- MCQ Examination
- Feedback Form
- Application Form
- Addmission Form
- Registration Form
- Survey Form
- Questionnaires Sheet
- Training & Assesment
- Ballot Paper for Polling
- HR Projects Outsourcing
- Attendance Sheets
- Inventory Cards
- Process Control Sheets
- Award Sheet
- Mark Sheet
OMR Sheet Design
Many different types of blocks can be placed on a OMR Sheet like:
- General MCQ Block (for answers in ABCDE format);
- Numeric Block (for number value or Integer answer in 0,1,2,3..format);
- Matrix Block (for column matching type response or true and false type answers);
- Alpha-Numeric Block (for collecting candidate name and other details)
- Image Block (for capturing candidate picture & signature)
- OCR Block (for capturing Form/Sheet No. from pre printed text)
- Barcode Block (for capturing Form/Sheet No.)
OMR Sheets are created using OMR Sheet Design Software. This OMR form designer is integrated in the Addmen OMR Software.
All OMR Sheets have black index points at four corners of the sheet – the most important parameter of an OMR Sheet. Any design just containing bubbles cannot be called an OMR Sheet because it might not have correct parameters and dimensions as per OMR requirements. So it is important that the OMR sheets to be read the OMR sheet checker software are created using the OMR sheet design software.
- Many OMR sheet formats are available readymade in the OMR sheet reader software.
- More new OMR Sheet designs can be made in any size using the OMR form designer.
- OMR sheets can be created in any desired layout and can contain as many MCQ questions or OMR data blocks that can be accommodated on a piece of paper.
- Generally an A4 size sheet can easily contain upto 300 question with 5 options. Click here to see OMR sheet samples.
- Smaller OMR answer sheets can be designed for less no. of MCQ questions in Half A4 size to save paper.
- Two sided (duplex) OMR sheets can be also be printed and processed.
- Addmen OMR Software automatically calibrates misaligned sheets, manual OMR Sheet calibration is required. Addmen's auto calibration technique saves time and effort, and thus is more accurate. Addmen OMR Software can also calibrate OMR Machine based Sheets based on old test pattern.
Instructions for OMR Sheet Printing
OMR sheet format used in Addmen OMR Software are very simple to design and economical to print. Now the OMR sheet cost is almost negligible as you can print your own OMR sheets.
- For printing prefer to use the Corel Draw file of the OMR design exported by the software.
- This CorelDraw file can be edited to add your organisation Name, Logo and other necessary information without disturbing the Index points or OMR circles.
- PDF file should be used only for viewing or printing if CorelDraw is not available.
Paper used for OMR Sheet Printing
- The Addmen OMR sheet scanning software finally reads the OMR sheet scanned image so it is not affected by the thickness of the paper.
- Normal 70 gsm A4 paper that we use in our laser printers can be used for OMR sheet printing. It is commonly available in the market.
- There is no need to use thick paper. If you want, thick paper can also be used. Thickeness of paper is only increased if the MCQ test conditions are not proper so there are chances of damage to the sheet or if the sheets are to be transported from long distances and stored for longer time.
- Both thin or thick paper are 100% accurate.
- Only white paper should be used.
- 18"x23" size paper can be used for offset printing 4 sheets together.
General Precautions for OMR Prinitng
- DO NOT alter the Size of the sheet format.
- DO NOT change location of circles/boxes as exported by the software.
- DO NOT increases the line thickness of bubbles. The line thickness of the circles is kept thin to avoid interference in reading. If you make the bubble outlines very thick the software might read all bubble edges as response because ultimately software is made for reading dark areas.
- DO NOT removes index points.
- DO NOT change location of index points as exported by the software.
- In any method of printing: Laser, Offset or Photocopies, ensure that 4 Black Index Points on 4 corners of sheet are properly printed.
- The index points should be printed Solid & Dark in Black color. If the index points are not properly printed, they will not be scanned properly and it will give trouble while reading.
- Print to centre of page so that there is sufficient white space outside 4 index points in all 4 corners.
- DO NOT print anything else outside or close to the Index points.
- In case if sheet includes a cutting or tearing margin, it should be sufficiently far from the index points.
- Any dirty or misprinted/misaligned sheets or faulty while cutting should be eliminated right at the time of printing. DO NOT USE SUCH SHEETS.
- DO NOT increase the font of text labels printed insde the circles.
- DO NOT use Bold or Large fonts. The font should be as small and thin as possible.
- Colored OMR Sheets should be used if the pattern of marking allows tick marks or thin strokes.
Instructions for OMR Sheet Scanning